Friday, January 31, 2014

Ultimate Blog Challenge Last Day

I promised in an earlier post to make available my Word Document with clues on questions to ask, etc when one is writing their own or some one else's story.  I have created a .pdf document, and as it is about 8 pages long, I think the only way to get it to folk is to ask you to leave a message in the comments with your email address and I will email it to you.

As my comments are all moderated I won't publish those with your contact details, so your email address will be used to send the document and then will be deleted, and I will ask that you delete my email address too.  I am not interested in playing card games, joining any mailing lists or doing any business, but if you have important information for you can always send a message via the comments section.

I set up this blog just to do the Ultimate Blog Challenge - 31 days of posts and action.  I have enjoyed the experience though I know I have not done all that was suggested, but I have posted about my blog and also visited many other blogs to read and comment.   It has been an awesome experience.

I have written a 1500 word story about my life - but as I have been going through the process of this blog I have been remembered some more things in my life story and will have to update at some time, but I am glad that I have done it.

One of the key points that I would like to make is that you start writing your story.  You can add to/edit what you have done, but if there are no words about your life - then that's it.  Zero, nothing.  Even if it is in note form, or paragraphs of information, you can one day find it and "fix it up", or someone else can.  If you have photos with details, certificates or other ephemera someone can piece together something of your life. 

Find a box and add to it as you think of things.  I have found doing this blog, and tidying up my boxes of "stuff" that my memory has been jogged and I have to continually add to my story - or at least my notes.

Is there a "memoir" waiting to be written?  I have yet to publish my tome on my life as an English Teacher in China and South Korea. I have written most of it but one day I will sift through the entries in that blog to determine if there are any more stories to add.

Everyone's story is unique and there are millions of people who enjoy reading about the lives of others - it is a huge market, so there may be a best seller amongst us - but if nothing else your descendants can read about you.  And learn what life was like.....

Make a point to read biographies, autobiographies and memoirs and it will give you ideas on how to format your story.

Enjoy the process, and have fun!


Reminder:  If you do want my cheat sheet/ideas for writing a biography, leave a comment below with your email address and I will send it to you.

I will update from time to time - but am glad I don't have to do a daily post now. 

A BIG THANK YOU to all those who visited this blog during the Challenge, and especially those that commented.  It was much appreciated. 

2 comments:

Katherine Bartlett said...

This is such a great idea!

Unknown said...

Great posts, or the majority I have read.